Here are step-by-step instructions for adding a post to your free WordPress site.
1. Log onto WordPress using your chosen username and password.
2. Select “My Blogs” and choose the desired blog from your list. If you only have a single blog launched at this time, it should be a simple task.
3. Choose the name of your blog on the top left corner and select “New” and “Post.”
4. Add a post title. This should be written like a headline, using an active verb and describing your post. Consider using subject-verb-object writing form.
5. Add the text of your post in the “Visual” box, using the “Add Media” button to add a photo if desired and the link button in the toolbar to add links where/if necessary. I encourage you to do your actual writing in a Word file (or other text-based program) and copy and paste it into WordPress. Writing directly on WordPress is a bad idea, as computer problems may result in loss of your work.
6. Use the “Save Draft” button on the top right to save your work periodically as you go and when your post is complete.
7. Use the “Preview” button at the top right to view your post as your readers will see it. I also find it helpful to print the preview and edit my posts on paper.
8. Always use the “Spell Check” button at the top of the “Visual” box to spell check your content before you publish, including after you make any edits or changes.
9. Add a “Featured Image” using the box on the bottom right if you want a photo attached to the post.
11. Select the appropriate category or categories for your post. Remember that categories help organize your posts on your site.
12. Choose tags for your post. Tags are keywords that you want search engines to associate with your post. Think of tags as a method of indexing your posts via keywords.
13. Publish the post using the “Publish” button in the top right corner. Note that you can schedule publication as well, just in case you don’t want your writing to post immediately.
14. Share your post with your readers via your social networks, if desired. Also, be sure your readers can share your post by clicking the “likes” and “sharing” buttons at the bottom of the blog.
Adding a post to your blog really is quite simple. Best of luck moving forward with your blog!