I love a good, nerdy learning opportunity, and that’s what student journalists experienced at #collegemedia17.
I attended the convention with four of our student editors, along with nearly 1,400 journalism students and advisers from about 260 schools.
We learned a lot while we were at convention, but it’s impossible to attend every session, and many college media outlets can’t attend at all or can’t take their entire staffs. The inability to learn that comes with these limitations sparked my idea for last week’s #EditorTherapy chat.
I invited a group of collegiate journalists who attended #collegemedia17 to serve as guests, sharing what they learned and answering your questions about convention.
The student journalist guests were:
- Samantha Douty, news editor for The Shorthorn,
- Katelyn Mary Skaggs, news editor for the Southeast Arrow,
- Grace Pateras, editor-in-chief for The Daily Iowan,
- Maya Eaglin, reporter for the Elon News Network,
- Kyle Cotton, reporter for The Shorthorn,
- Ryan Bieri, editor-in-chief for The Alestle,
- Gabi Wy, editor-in-chief for The Shield, and
- Lauren Berlingeri, community manager for MediaOCU.
Below is an overview of the chat.
Thank you to those of you who attended the chat and to all of the fabulous student guests.
I hope to see you during the next #EditorTherapy!