The Holland Sentinel
The Holland Sentinel, a six-day daily print and digital publication in West Michigan, is looking for a copy editor/page designer to join its newly created Michigan newspaper design hub.
The successful candidate must have fluency in InDesign and Photoshop, possess clean writing and editing skills and the ability to work with reporters and editors in-house and/or remotely to meet the demands of a web-first newsroom. Familiarity with Illustrator and previous newspaper experience are preferred but not required.
Work schedule will vary, may include evenings, weekend and holiday hours.
This person will design, proof and correct print pages and collaborate with editors both in-house and remotely to create graphics and charts when called for.
- Produces clean newspaper layouts
- Spots and fixes spelling, grammar errors in headlines, cutlines and other display text
- Finds the essence of each story and expresses it in headlines and cutlines
- Identifies relevant offerings from newswires
- Works well in a team environment
- Meets deadlines
- Able to work in both a print and online environment
- Able to design clean news pages in Adobe InDesign (a page design test will be required)
- Demonstrated knowledge of grammar, spelling and Associated Press style (a copy editing exercise will be required)
- Demonstrated ability to follow news budgets
- Demonstrated ability to recognize news and act accordingly
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately under deadlines
- Demonstrated knowledge of local, state and national news, sports and entertainment and the arts
The Holland Sentinel serves the thriving Holland/Zeeland region of approximately 110,000 people in West Michigan on the shores of Lake Michigan. Home to international companies such as Haworth, Gentex, Herman Miller, Johnson Controls, LG Chem and many others, our community has a very diverse employment base. With Hope College as a part of the center-city area, our quality of life is second to none. Holland is also a popular tourist destination, especially during the summer months. The Holland Sentinel is a locally managed media outlet owned by GateHouse Media, Inc. and we offer an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and a 401k plan.
Apply with a cover letter telling why you are the person for this job, plus a resume and clips of published news stories. Respond to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org